- Philips Exeter Academy Visits the Beacon Academy March 25, 2019
- BEACON ACADEMY DELEGATES PLACE IN TOP 100 AT WORLD SCHOLAR’S CUP TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS AT YALE UNIVERSITY November 23, 2017
- Now Accepting Applications for AY 2018-2019 November 14, 2017
- Save the Date: SPOTLIGHT 2017 Beacon Academy Fair February 6, 2017
- Now Accepting Applicants for AY 2017-2018 December 6, 2016
Discussion-Based Learning (also called the “Harkness Method") is a learning style that challenges students to be responsible for their own education. Students are required to sit around an oval-discussion table and are tasked to find new information together, talk, wait for answers, and ultimately think for themselves. The teacher plays the role of facilitator as the students engage in dynamic discussions and questions about the subject matter.
The Academy includes this method of learning in its curriculum as it allows students to uncover a deeper understanding of the material while thinking critically and independently. The Academy believes these are skills that are necessary to survive in college and the world beyond.
[vimeo 107883082 w=700]
[vimeo 94721792 w=700]
Inforgraphic Video created by Flux Design Labs for the Beacon Academy