- Student Applications for AY 2022-2023 Still Being Accepted June 14, 2022
- BEACON ACADEMY IS PCNC ACCREDITED April 25, 2022
- BEACON ACADEMY STUDENTS BACK ON CAMPUS March 24, 2022
- Career Week 2022 March 7, 2022
- WATCH: BEACON ACADEMY INFORMATION SESSION | March 5, 10AM Via Zoom March 2, 2022
Discussion-Based Learning (also called the “Harkness Method") is a learning style that challenges students to be responsible for their own education. Students are required to sit around an oval-discussion table and are tasked to find new information together, talk, wait for answers, and ultimately think for themselves. The teacher plays the role of facilitator as the students engage in dynamic discussions and questions about the subject matter.
The Academy includes this method of learning in its curriculum as it allows students to uncover a deeper understanding of the material while thinking critically and independently. The Academy believes these are skills that are necessary to survive in college and the world beyond.
Inforgraphic Video created by Flux Design Labs for the Beacon Academy